Every so often every trader will be hit by that lab rat feeling. Conspiracy theories racing through your mind. Why up and then down ?
There is someone out there recording all the market moves and analyzing reactions and then, feeding us more data to change our behaviour. We are in a big market experiment engineered by the central bankers and authorities. Manipulating our each and every action.
What is happening ? Greece Debt Deal Talks Devolve into “unedifying Playground Spat” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/16/greece-debt-deal-talks-devolve-unedifying-playground-spat_n_1281414.html
Isn’t it all fine now ?
Look at the EUR recovery !!
I am bad rat. Didn’t fall for the end of the world story yesterday just like I won’t be falling for the everything-is-alright story today.
I will be a thinking rat. What is the risk today and tomorrow ?
What is happening in the world of equities and the economy ?
Staring at the EUR chart all day sometimes does things to your head and you feel that all is over.
* GM just posted record profits last night. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17062698 but posts loss inEurope.
* Jobless claims in US fall to 4 year low. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/02/16/bloomberg_articlesLZGIEH0D9L3501-LZHN5.DTL
* Greek Default Will Cost More Than SavingGreece, Dutch De Jager Says. [TOO BIG TO FAIL ?]
* Dow closed near a 4 year high.
* Brainard Says US Won’t Give More Funds to IMF for Europe. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-16/brainard-reiterates-u-s-won-t-give-imf-extra-funds-for-europe.html
And a good perspective from European Think Tank
“There is no wayGreececan actually ever fully meet the conditions laid down by the EUR and IMF ….”
And a concise summary here.
Greeceis More Screwed than you realize.
“The key point is that even with full default,Greece is still insolvent and Greece is not a commodity exporter that gets a quick and obvious boost from a devaluation. “
But yet a differing view.
However many reforms are imposed, countries such as Greece still require significant devaluation to be competitive with Germany– which can only be accomplished outside the euro.
My 2 Cents Worth
To be contrarian just a little. There is no free lunch.
In fact the best question to ask yourself on each trade is “what is the downside ?”. That was why I was long last night.Greece wasn’t going to default overnight and war isn’t going to erupt tomorrow.
Yet while the world is gunning for the moon today, I will be holding to my horses to look for the levels to short EUR and gang again. Will also be watching for the impossible to happen in USD/JPY – a new top ?
Because lab rats are meant to be tested and I know something will happen in the laboratory today.